I was listening to Entrepreneur on Fire the other day and David Wood was talking about investing in yourself, and he was not joking around. You need to be investing in your most valuable resource – YOU!
This weekend I am doing exactly that. I am investing in myself, in that lump of pink grey mass that sits between my ears:) Nice visual isn’t it!
This weekend I am spending 3 days with Lisa Nichols and her Motivating the Masses support team at their annual conference Speak and Write to Make Millions. And let me tell you this event is nothing shy of great. The way I ended up at the conference was magical, the timing of the conference was perfect and the value its providing is priceless.
About 4-5 months ago I was volunteering at an event. I had been feeling somewhat uninspired in my day job and thinking about how I could make a bigger impact on the day-to-day. I am watching people share when this amazingly eloquent lady steps to the microphone and starts talking in her sultry voice about how blessed she is to work with such a wonderful cast of people and have a life where she reaches and motivates thousands. I was interested. I wouldn’t normally go up and talk to her, but I had this feeling inside of me, like it was a line of demarcation or something. It was an opportunity to either walk toward my destiny or shrink away from it, and I chose the former. In what felt like a really bold move, I introduced myself to her and said that I would love to chat sometime if she was open to it.
2 weeks later we had a phone call. I asked her questions about her life, job and journey; and she offered a ticket to Speak and Write. As the event neared, with this new promise to leaving the day job and becoming an entrepreneur, I reached out to her and voila – I received a hugely discounted ticket in;-) Connections make the world go round.
Fast forward to today, day 1 of the conference We covered a lot of ground and it is late so I can’t share it all with you, but I can tell you some of the key take aways or golden nuggets.
- The self-development industry is a $210B industry – HOLY HECK get in on this pie
- Your potential customer’s lack of resources does not determine your value!
- When you are truly connected to your audience you check in with them and see if their needs are being met.
- Convictions and convenience do not live in the same sentence. Are you willing to give for your dreams?
- A book is simply an expensive business card. But it can be very valuable for brand leveraging.
- Hire people who are going to lead, not follow.
- Pyrrhic victory is when the cost of the victory outweighs the victory itself – watch out for this.
- Your Unique Selling Proposition (USP) allows you to determine who you to craft your core message, because it captures who you are and what you stand for.
- When you talk to people and network lead with the benefit or result that you provide and what you need, vice what you do.
Please leave a comment and let me know: What are you doing to invest in yourself? What have you found that is really valuable?